Thanks to CUCC for supporting this exciting growth in the youth program.
Part-time Youth Minister
This person should be theologically grounded in a progressive Christianity that welcomes diversity of thought and cultural heritage, is tolerant of differences, is Open and Affirming, and works to practice Just Peace.
- This is a part time position. We anticipate an average of 10 hours per week.
- Formal seminary training is not a requirement, though theological sophistication is expected (…Inclusive language and an inclusive theology from a Christian perspective.).
- This person should view Christian youth education as a significant part of their personal mission, enjoy working with people, communicate well, have demonstrated ability to relate very well with middle school and high school youth, be organized and self-motivated.
- Compensation is negotiable.
- This position will be subject to a six-month probationary period and an Annual Performance Review.
- The person in this position will attend meetings of the Youth Religious Education (YRE) Committee and, on occasion, the monthly Church Council meetings.
- The Pastor of CUCC will supervise the Youth Ministries position.
Extended time off to be coordinated with the Pastor.
- Starting date negotiable. We ambitiously hope to have someone in place in November 2007.
Community United Church of Christ has a long history of community involvement, courage in controversy, deep concern for humanity, leadership in public issues, spiritual depth and joy, and warmth and friendship for the newcomer and stranger. In each generation, we seek to follow Jesus’ prayer "that they may all be one." Our youth programming is presently run by volunteers and has grown to the point that a paid coordinator is needed for further development. We seek a person to coordinate, supervise and minister to the aspects of church life that involve youth, from 6th through 12th grade, and their families, raising up the next generation of spiritually growing justice people through educational programs, worship experiences, music, and fellowship activities.
This person will be responsible for the Youth Programming at CUCC:
- Working closely with the Youth Religious Education (YRE) Committee toward the general development of youth programming to be offered in Sunday morning church school, weekly youth group, and other appropriate times.
- Leading weekly youth group events with rotating emphasis on fun activities and short term service projects such as Food Bank, Stop Hunger Now, etc. as well as interaction with other groups in the CUCC family. Lead or participate in other youth events as appropriate (ASP, etc.).
- Building a relationship with each of the youth and their families through routine personal contact.
- Recruiting, training, coordinating and supporting enough volunteers to adequately staff the youth program.
- Accompanying youth on mission trips.
- Representing the youth in the planning of church-wide programs and advocating for their inclusion when needed.
- Assisting with, in coordination with the Pastor and Caring Committee, pastoral care of youth and families during times of special needs (transitions, crises, etc.).
- Facilitating the youth budget (as managed by the Church and the YRE Committee) to provide adequate supplies for youth activities. This includes ordering, organizing and distributing supplies as needed and planning for fundraising for major mission trips.
- Working with other CUCC staff and volunteers on the transition of older children to youth programs, including through multigenerational programming.
Resumes will be collected until the position is filled.
Email resumes preferred. Send resumes to both
The Rev. Steve Halsted (pastor @communityucc.org) and Pam Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Or mail to Community United Church of Christ, 814 Dixie Trail, Raleigh, NC 27607.