As you know, President Trump has said that he will pull the US from the Paris Climate Accords. This is a very sad and dangerous decision. Today, I am proud of the leaders the Southern Conference of the UCC because last week they signed on to a UCC emergency resolution in opposition to our withdrawal. The resolution will be presented at the General Synod later this summer http://uccfiles.com/synod/reso
lutions/The-Earth-is-the%20Lor ds-Not-Ours-to-Wreck-Imperativ es-for-a-New-Moral-Era-v-DDA.p df..Some of the key aspects include“...RESOLVED, that the Thirty-first General Synod of the United Church of Christ calls upon the whole of the church to prayerfully engage the following imperatives as we seek to initiate a new moral era:
- Let our clergy accept the mantle of moral leadership: Now is the time for clergy to speak from their pulpits about the moral obligation of our generation to protect God’s creation. Let the world know that whatever the current American administration may say or do, we who follow Jesus will not back away from God’s call to protect our common home.
- Let all of us incarnate the changes we long for: Now is the time for congregations and for every person of faith to set a moral example through our own words and actions. As individuals and as communities, let us commit to making decisions of integrity in our energy choices, even as we commit to hold our political leaders accountable to do the same.
- Let us proclaim truth in the public square: We are now living in a John 18:37 moment, in which we must hold to the truth we understand from our two Testaments and from the sacred book of nature, recognizing that when truth is compromised, only power prevails.
- Let our communities of faith be bold and courageous as we address the greatest moral challenge that the world has ever faced.
- Let us commit to resist all expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure and demand new sources of renewable energy that are accessible to all communities.
- Let us do all we can to change America's understanding of the story that our generation is writing. Let us begin a new story – a story that is not dependent on fossil fuel or on wealth for the few and misery for the many.”Submitted by Gary Smith